Thursday, October 11, 2007

Confessions Of A Cashier

What really goes on in their minds as they ring you up.

Now, I have been a cashier for about a year now. I just have to say that even though I may be smiling and crap I am really thinking, “I hate you all” as you bring your two immense shopping carts full of who knows what up to my register.

I don’t really consider myself a bitter person but after a year of working this job it does something to how you look at people. I very rarely get the very good customers; I usually get the average customer that just wants to buy their stuff and go. I would really like to get them out of there as fast as possible as well. Then the majority of the time you get the assholes that love to try and make your day as horrible as possible.

A little advice to anyone who has and will go shopping in the near future, please for the love of all that is holy make sure ALL of your items have a barcode or UPC# on it. I cannot tell you how many times people have brought up items without those two items and they get upset at me because I can’t ring it up. I’m sorry but if your lazy ass couldn’t bother to make sure there was something there then how can you expect me to ring the stupid thing up. It would be common courtesy for the customer to do that much for the cashier.

Another thing that just annoys the hell out of me is the fact that the customers act like it is my fault their item has no barcode on it. Or when they don’t make sure an item costs what they think it is. I hate how the customers think that we have control of how much an item is. Like we would purposely put the item so high. Double check the prices genius and we wouldn’t have to do the price checks and end up proving you wrong anyway. Another thing that would be lovely is PLEASE take all your crap with you. Don’t change your mind on items when you get to the register. Also, if you really can’t put the item back and you really can’t buy it please don’t go shoving it in the isle somewhere. We cashiers will find it and that is just another load of crap that we have to lug back to the courtesy desk. And if you have perishables, BUY THEM! Don’t leave them in the isle! That is one of the rudest things you could do. I am sorry I can understand if you don’t have the money but at least have someone go put the perishable back or at least put it in a drink cooler or something! Just like you don’t like touching the raw chicken or beef, we don’t either!

Please put any and ALL items on the register belt please. Don’t assume that just cause some items are all priced the same that we can ring one of them up. Yes, four different items may cost the same but they all have a different barcode and it messes up the inventory when we scan one item and not all of the others. Please no jokes about how you ‘printed’ your twenties, fifties or hundreds that day. We get it all the time and it never gets any better. If you have large HEAVY items, please take them off the bag carousel as soon as we scan them. They just take up space and makes it harder for us to bag the other items. While we are on that topic, take your shit off the carousel as well when it is full. I know I will stop ringing up your items if you don’t take it off. I don’t know how you expect us to finish scanning all your crap if you don’t remove the bags. Cases of soda, twelve packs of soda or bunches of Gatorade or large things of toilet paper or paper towels DO NOT need bags! Please do not waste bags for those items. We do go through bag shortages so please don’t take more than what you need. Also, if you are just going to re-bag what I just bagged you should have gone to self-fucking checkout. I try to bag things in an orderly fashion and when you just go and change it up it just annoys me.

DO NOT turn the carousel as I am still bagging your items. That is so unbelievably rude! You may think you are helping speed things along but you are not, so don’t! Back to self-checkout, no I will not scan your stuff for you. It is called self-checkout for a damn reason. YOU check YOURSELF out! I am more than willing to help you with a problem but I will not scan your stuff. Also, if you scan something twice don’t leave the item in front of the scanner and act surprised when it has scanned 50 times! If you don’t move it of course it will scan a billion times. Most importantly if you really don’t know how to use it don’t go to it.

If we turn our light off and say we are closed then that means WE ARE CLOSED! Why? We need a break sometime you know. We have to eat lunch and go home at some point. Some of us would rather not get overtime and get fired. Even if you have one item go to a 10 items or less line. Please don’t be a sneaky dick and get in the line anyway.

I think that is all for now because I can’t remember all of it at the moment. I am sure while I am at work on Friday it will all come to me and I’ll make a part two or something. So in summary please do these simple things and we cashiers will not hate you in the end.

- Cashier Geneva

No comments: