Thursday, November 1, 2007

House of Blues on Sunset – Hollywood, Ca -- October 30th, 2007

I awoke at 7:30am to the sound of Pete screaming at me. What did he scream did you say? “So lay down, when his sight goes red again!” I sometimes wish I had a different song for an alarm. But, I have found that scares me awake just fine so I stick with it. I prepare to baby-sit my baby cousins, Noah and Becca. They have not arrived yet so I make a comfy makeshift bed on the couch. Two hours later they arrived and I watched them until about 2 pm when I went to get ready for my concert. My sister Janice watched them for me.

I took my shower and I was set to leave until I needed to wait on my other sister, Connie, to come home from school. She was going to watch the babies after I left so that Janice, Alfredo and I could make our dinner reservations at the House of Blues restaurant at 5:30pm. As soon as she arrived we all took off. I was still on a high from the night before. I couldn’t wait to get to the House of Blues.

When we finally arrive there Alfredo was getting confused as to where to park. After a short argument he finally pulled in to the House of Blues parking lot. We start to go down the hill and low and behold guess who were hanging out at the bottom of the hill. Peter and Samuel Loeffler. Now, I start freaking out in the “Oh crap. I don’t want them to think I am stalking them” way. So I tell Alfredo to back up, we also thought it was a dead-end and we went in the wrong way. But, I was reminded that Alfredo’s car does not have reverse. So we had no choice but to go straight ahead. Alfredo started to roll down his window to tell Pete something but Janice and I made him stop by repeating, “Don’t say anything! Just drive!” We pass Pete and mean while Janice is covering her face and repeatedly saying, “I don’t know you.” And I was in the back seat avoiding looking out the car window. All I could think when we passed Sam was “THANK GOD that Alfredo has tinted windows!” When we reached the end it turns out it wasn’t a dead end but it was valet parking. No sooner did we realize this did the valet guys open our doors. We all get out of the car and Janice starts to try to get Alfredo to tell the valet guys about the reverse. Alfredo almost walks off without telling them until Janice and I reminded him. He then starts to ask the guy if he could park the car in a way where he can just drive out because his car has no reverse. After that Janice and I walked a little ways away from embarrassment. Apparently the guy didn’t believe Alfredo and got in the car and tried to back up and when he wasn’t going anywhere Janice and I started to crack up. Then a small group of the valets come to push his car. One of them asked Alfredo “Dude? What happened to your reverse?” and they pushed his car right next to the venue and not too far away from where the equipment would be loaded and unloaded. It was a very nice spot.

After that little amusing ordeal, we start our walk up the hill to the restaurant when who do we see again. Sam and Pete Loeffler. I just kept thinking, “Oh great, they must think I am some psycho fan.” As we got closer Pete and I looked at each other and I got the courage to blurt out “Hey!” and I smiled and he smiles and says “HellOoOoOo.” As we passed each other there were these two 17-year-old boys looking at me like “Oh my god. She just talked to Pete Loeffler!” It was pretty funny because for the first time I wasn’t all that nervous I just acted very nonchalantly. I was proud of myself. So we make in time for our reservations and we eat our meals. Then we wait in the line for early entry and we chat with some other early entry Chevelle fans. Sam walked past us and we all just kind of glanced at him.

We are finally let in and we wait about an hour for the show to finally start. Tyler Read came on and immediately Janice and I started dancing and that got the lead singers attention. So throughout their set we got a lot of looks from him. The poor guy’s microphone holder broke on one song and he had to play the guitar with one hand and hold the microphone with the other hand. He looked at us like “What can I do?” When the song ended he proudly declared, “I’m always breaking shit.” Their set was really good and Janice and I danced their set away. Shortly before the set ended the singer had another mishap. He was rocking out with his guitar and managed to head bang his head on to the head of the other guitarists guitar. He had to back up to shake off his injury. Like a trooper he played the rest of the set.

2 Cents took the stage and immediately Alfredo took to them. He really enjoyed their music. The singer/drummer was amusing yet again but he met with some mishaps of his own. His snare drum broke and he dropped one of his drumsticks. Then after he got his replacement one he broke it on the broken snare. He replaced the snare and the stick and the show went on. I enjoyed their set more this time because I was familiar with the songs and my sister and Alfredo always make shows fun. The crowd loved them and they really amped up the crowd for Chevelle.

Chevelle takes the stage finally and that is when all hell broke loose with the crowd. The front was no longer a comfy place but it was more like a pressure cooker of some sort. Janice could no longer take it and left to somewhere more comfortable with Alfredo. I decided to tough it out. It was ok there was this drunkish guy fending off the crowd for me so I wasn’t as squished. In the middle of all that Dean managed to throw me two picks. I was very pleased with that. For those of you keeping count of the number of picks Dean gave me over the two days it is now three. Chevelle were very happy with the crowd this time because they were WAY more alive then the night before. In the middle of Forfeit Pete slipped and fell by his amp and he quickly got up to see Sam laughing at him. Chevelle played very well as usual and no words that I can say can describe just how well they were. I was pleasantly surprised to see that this time around seeing Dean has become more aggressive with his bass.

The show ends and I meet up with Janice and Alfredo and Alfredo shows me the photos he secretly took of the concert and I will try and post them up here for you. He got some videos too. Here is what I can remember of the setlist (Not in order):

Antisaint
Brainiac
Vitamin R
Comfortable Liar
The Red
SMA
Straight Jacket Fashion
Forfeit
Still Running
Saturdays
I Get It
Send The Pain Below
The Clincher
Well Enough Alone
Closure
Humanoid
Another Know It All – Extended ending is intro to Prove To You

And that is the end of my show. I hope you all enjoyed this :)

No comments: