Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Words From A Writer

What I seem to have taken for granted.

Yesterday when I started talking to that writer on the train he asked my mother and I what we did, meaning profession. I of course said, “Aspiring screenwriter.” with a smile. He smiled and said “Good luck! Just keep working at it. Never give up.” He spoke to my mom about her job at the county and when he found out that she was my mother the tone changed a little. He said, “That’s good you support her. Never stop supporting her. There are a lot of people out there that won’t support others when they say they want to be a writer. When they find out they say ‘don’t do that, you won’t go anywhere.’ So keep supporting her.” Shortly after that he found his stop and left.

Those words stuck with me. I really have taken for granted that I have the amount of supporters in my life. A part of me always assumed that the people you care for most would support you in your life choices. And in reality there are a lot of people who would say otherwise. I am so unbelievably lucky that I have people that support me and I will always be forever grateful for them.

Like I said, speaking to the writer yesterday made the day worth it. Seeing that smile on his face knowing that we are out there supporting him made what they were fighting for all the more worth it. I don’t think he will ever know it but that writer did more than give me advice yesterday. I honestly he’s made me a better person and for that I thank you. May you get all that you hope for and more. I am honored to have met you.

No comments: